Saturday, July 12, 2014

The Last Unicorn Fanart Series

The book The Last Unicorn made a big impression on my life. From watching the movie a ba-zillion times as a kid with my cousins to reading the book for the first time when I was 14, the story has always resonated with me.

It's adventure and hope and loss and love. Beauty, truth, immortality and death.

It pretty much has it all.

So here they are, all together, the 5-part series of puppet fanart:
(first and only puppet fanart series...so far...)

Lady Amalthea/the Unicorn
Molly Grue
Schmendrick the Magician
King Haggard
Prince Lir
As it is with any series of paintings, I learned A LOT (about color, about concept, about painting in general) so it was worth the time and effort, but the last one looks much more sophisticated than the first.

For example: there's a lot of touching up I would love to do on King Haggard, and it drives me crazy that Prince Lir isn't as monochromatic as the others (his cape should be blue...that's going to drive me nuts...I don't have time to change it but I don't care, I'm going to change it) and a million other tiny details.

All that aside, I can say I like what I've done. And I'm glad to declare this little project DONE.
I hope you like them. If nothing else, perhaps they will inspire you to read the book. It's a good read. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment